Monday, October 14, 2013

AMAZING FERMENTED FOODS

Rick and I recently listened to this fascinating interview about the health benefits of fermented foods:  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/09/02/probiotics-allergies.aspx?e_cid=20130902Z1_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20130902Z1 

We were amazed to learn that these foods  which are relatively easy to make, can improve your immune system and heal a wide assortment of dis-eases. 

Meanwhile, while at a pet sitting clients' home I'd been noticing on Kelly's kitchen counter  some large vats of an amber liquid upon which floated a pancake-like substance.  When I inquired about it, she told me it was her homemade Kumbacha tea – one of the fermented foods I just been hearing about. She offered to let me try some – it was delicious!

 Kelly gave me some of the tea plus a piece of the "SCOBY" and I made my first batch yesterday.   In 7 to 10 days I'll be able to start enjoying this fizzy, healthy beverage.  Here's the recipe she gave me, by the way:  http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-kombucha-tea-at-home-173858

 isn't it great when tasty things are also healthy?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment